Coming up in 2017
Are you NEW to UofT? Join GradLife & the G2G for a grad-focussed campus tour starting at 63 St. George Street in the SGS grad lounge. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Tour Dates:
- Monday, August 28. Starting at 12pm, 3pm, 5:30pm (1 hour tours)
- Wednesday, August 30. Starting at 12pm, 3pm, 5:30pm
- Friday, September 1. Starting 12pm, 3pm, 5:30pm
GPS Conflict Resolution Fundamentals Parts 1-3 . August 10, 17 & 24, 2017. 1:30-3:30pm. Grad Room, UTSG.3 fantastic sessions that will help you to understand what conflict is, various approaches to conflict, triggers for conflict escalation and the role of effective communication and negotiation in conflict resolution. Registration closed.
This Fall the CRC/G2G will be EVERYWHERE welcoming new graduate students!
- Grad Step-Up (August 31st) for International graduate students. Registration required.
- SGS Orientation (September 5th) – official welcome from the School of Graduate Studies & panel discussion for incoming grads (Registration required); also: Info Fair & campus tours (no registration).
- UTGSU GradFest BBQ (September 6th)
- OISE Orientation (September 6th)
- UTSC Orientation (September 8)
- Transitioning to Gradlife (September 11th) – Learn effective strategies for academic success, talking to new people, learn about navigating campus services and hear tips for success from current students. Space limited, please register. Gradlife Campus tours happening August 28-September 1st.
- Family Care Office Orientation (September 16th) – for students with family obligations – lunch provided, childcare available, families welcome! Registration required.
- UTM (September 20)
October 2017. 2017/2018 G2G Peer Advisor Team Training. GPS Advanced Conflict Resolution. TBD.
Health & Wellness for GRADS: Better Coping Skills Workshops: Emotion Regulation | Healthy Behaviours | Balanced Thinking | Balanced Living. Exclusively for graduate students run by the SGS/Health & Wellness embedded counsellor. To register, call the Health & Wellness Centre at 416-978-8030 or contact your intake counsellor/clinician.
We can customize any CRC training!
“Dealing with Awkward Situations at Grad School” GradTalk. (June 8, 2017) – we had fun!
“Negotiating time for family: Strategies for bringing up family in discussions with your supervisor.” (WEBINAR with the Family Care Office. May 30, 2017).
GPS Conflict Resolution Fundamentals Part 1. Matt & Priyanka had a great time at UTM! (April 25, 2017)
GPS Conflict Resolution Fundamentals Part 2: Communication. Great turn-out at UTSC for this workshop with Matt & Rebecca about the essential communication skills that will help you to resolve conflict more effectively. (April 27, 2017)
“Productive Disruption: What can we learn from “difficult people”? workshop. Jacey & Manaal were happy to be a part of the 2017 Student Leadership Conference at Hart House (April 29, 2017). Please email email@example.com for a copy of the powerpoint presentation.
Wellness Workshops: Balancing Your Well-Being & Grad School (departmental sessions facilitated by graduate students, Health & Wellness, SGS & CRC – request through SGS) & Identify Assist Refer workshops (request through H&W).
Placement/Internship workshops for Museum Studies (March 24, 2017) & Public Health. (March 30, 2017) Rebecca, Sam and Heather wish you the best as you start your placements/internships!
“Getting the most from your supervisor/advisor” Workshops – Nursing (March 28, 2017, Manaal & Heather) & Computer Science (February 2017, Terence, Michael, Heather) & GradTalk (December 2016, Heather). This interactive workshop is a great opportunity to learn more about how graduate students can use the SGS Supervision Guidelines for Student in dealing with their supervisors.
Immunology & Biochemistry invited the CRC/G2G to come and talk about our services and other supports for graduate students at U of T. Great to meet you! (Feb.27/28 Michael & Heather)
Graduate Professional Skills (GPS) Conflict Resolution Fundamentals Workshops: Conflict, Communication & Negotiation (UTSG: February 14, 21, 28, 2017. Nov.23/Nov.30/Dec.7, 2016. August 11/18/25, 2016; UTM Sustainability Management. November 9 & 11, 2016; UTSC Graduate Professional Skills (GPS) Day. ) Thank you to all participants!
Optimize your Graduate Experience: Overcoming Imposter Phenomenon. G2G Natalie & Rebecca talked about strategies for overcoming Imposter Phenomenon as part of a panel facilitated by GradLife blogger Kathryn Clark. (November 1, 2016)
GradTalk: Becoming a Parent while Pursuing a Graduate Degree. G2G Manu shared a few thoughts about talking with your supervisor about changing circumstances. November 8, 2016 at the Grad Room, UTSG.
ORIENTATION Fall 2016/Winter 2017 – WELCOME to GRAD SCHOOL! G2G were there!
- @G2GUofT What’s helping you through grad school? “Old” graduate students shared tips for surviving and thriving in graduate school with “new” graduate students. #oldG2newG
- Step up! Orientation for International students. “What you do NOW can help you LATER”. (CIE w/ CRC September 16, 2016)
- Grad Life Graduate Orientation. “Navigating your first month of Graduate School” (GradLife w/ CRC/G2G – August 29, 2016)
- Orientation for U of T students with family responsibilities (Family Care Office w/ G2G – September 7, 2016)
‘Negotiating with your Supervisor – what every graduate student should know.’ GradTalk (CRC – June 2, 2016).
‘Getting to Know Your Supervision Guidelines’ Discussion (G2G – May 10, 2016)
30 days = 30 tips for conflict prevention for grads Follow @G2GUofT Twitter campaign #G2G30days30tips (April 2016)
‘Building Positive Relationships With Supervisors / Effective Communication’ – MIE Graduate Town Hall (MIE/CRC&G2G – March 2016)
TOP 5 Supervisor / Student Sources of Conflict…and what you can do to manage them – GradTalk (CRC – February 2016)
Faculty/Staff Workshops/Events – here’s how the CRC can support you…
“Conflict Management for Supervisors/Advisors”. Thank you for joining the CRC & SGS for an interactive workshop for faculty on how to more effectively manage conflict within the supervisory relationship. (CIE May 31, 2017). Accessibility Services/SGS also ran a workshop for faculty on June 7, 2017 on Accessibility Issues in Graduate Supervision. If you were unable to attend these workshops and would like to see them run in the future, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
“Helping graduate students to effectively navigate conflict” workshop (Faculty of Medicine GLSE Faculty Development Program, April 7, 2017)
“Early Resolution & Appropriate escalation” workshops (Hart House Staff Training – February 23, 2017 & January 15, 2017 ; Victoria University at U of T Staff October 28, 2016)
“Powers of persuasion: How to become a more effective self-advocate through confidence, curiosity and conversation” (Student Life Professionals Retreat @ Hart House, December 8, 2016)
“Conflict Resolution? We can help YOU with that” session with CRC/G2G @ U of T Professionals’ Symposium. (July 5, 2016 )